Food Clerk Responsibilities
The food clerk responsibilities include interacting with the retail store customers after they are done with all the shopping. He checks and examines all the food items of the customers and talks to them while listing their food items one by one for bills. He makes sure that the customers get all the food items they require. He also discusses with the customers about the different food items available for them in the stores and their way of display and this lets the customers find particular products they might have been looking for.
He also needs to run the documents for billing if the retail store takes summons and costs from the social service authorities to the customers. He keeps and executes suitable operations in the food department of the store with compliance to the rules, regulations and standard procedures of the company. The food clerk also makes sure that the stores have all the possible food items that the customers want and that the retail market benefits perfectly and earns profits from the customers.
A food clerk has the following key responsibilities:
- Following all the store rules and regulations and company plans and programs
- Working as per the section, government, national health and civilized codifications and rules
- Obeying his work shifts according to the manager of the company
- Wearing the proper head cap provided by the company and enhancing and organizing the kitchen areas, related regions as well as the walk-in and fridge properly
- Getting acquainted with the new company policies, kitchen and the cleanliness procedures and methods
- Loading and unloading the merchandises of the company and lifting items upto 50 lbs
- Carrying the new food stock to the storage and its inside areas and showing the cartons and prices of the food items as per the accepted rules and regulations of the retail market company
- Holding on to the food items and disintegrating them as per the standard policies and procedural methods of the company
- Informing the manager about the food items that are less in number and amount in the stores and the amount of food that has gotten spoiled due to weather, insects or any other reasons so that new and fresh stock of those food items can be ordered
- Giving an account to the manager about all the food items that have been sold to the customers and the items or food stock newly required
- Administrating the destroyed and spoiled food products and taking remedial measures to prevent the same
- Aiding the arrangement of food products in the stores as per the convenience of the customers and according to the company procedures and regulations and directions of the manager
- Providing the best customer services and ensuring that they are contented
- Speaking softly to the customers and helping them as much as possible
- Packing the food items that have been bought by the customers and ordering the marketing boys to transport them to their place in case the customer is old and can't carry all the items himself
- Ensuring the effective execution of other administrative and management operations by the workers of the store and making sure that the company is profiting and benefitting from all possible respects of retailing
- Keeping an environment friendly atmosphere in the stores in order to be at ease with all the customers
- Supporting the customers and responding to all their queries and doubts
- Overseeing the protection of food items as per the standard rules and regulations of the company
- Keeping high standards of the food items in the strores of the retail market and aiding the manager of the same in making a name for itself
- Keeping his services to the customers very regular and effective so that the company can carve a niche for itself
Qualifications and Skills Required
The candidate who wants to become a food clerk should be able to read and write English. He should have passed 10th grade and should have good information, data submission and computer skills. On top of that, he needs to be quick and flexible with the customers. He should have good maths and calculating skills. Also, he should be an able administrator and helper who feels comfortable with the customers and is not rude or impatient with them. He needs to have stamina as well in order to remain standing and assisting customers.
His working area is either busy or boring. At times, he may have to attend to hundreds of customers and sometimes, he may not have any customers at all. He mostly remains standing throughout the day and interacts with and helps the customers.
A food clerk draws an average salary of around USD 30, 976 per annum. But this may differ from one retail market to another and also depends on the location of the market.
Thus, the food clerk responsibilities include working for the customers and helping them to deal with the food items purchased.