Executive Director Responsibilities
Executive directors are involved in carrying out the planning, management, and functioning of the entire organization. They are responsible for organizing, managing, and controlling all the processes and activities at the organizational level for organizational growth and development. They have to meet the organizational goals and regulate the working of subordinates and junior employees accordingly.
Executive director is also referred to as chief executive officer or managing director. He handles and executes the activities at the organizational level and looks after the entire management process of the organization. He has to manage several aspects of organization like administration, manufacturing, marketing, quality control, operations, etc., which define the base of business structure.
An executive director has to work in unison with the board of directors of the company, carry out planing and operational activities in accordance with the board, and manage the organizational tasks and activities accordingly
The key responsibilities of an executive director comprise:
- Providing leadership in program development, managing the organizational and financial plans, and collaborating with board of directors for carrying out organizational plans and policies authorized by the board
- Promoting active participation of employees in all aspects of the organizational functioning, encouraging the staff to work in benefit of the organization by implementing various work related policies, etc.
- Maintaining all the records, documents, and data sheets of organizational activities for official purpose, maintaining the records of significant developments in the organization, tracing the developmental trend for future projects, and maintaining compliance with federal and state regulatory authorities
- Managing the board of directors, making sure that they are informed about the current situation of the organization along with all the important factors that influence the organizational activities
- Establishing professional relationship with various business communities and groups, maintaining cooperative agreement with them regarding business goals and other progressive activities, and publicizing these activities if required
- Representing the organizational mission, its aims and objectives, etc., to various business agencies, corporate organizations, and common public
- Actively getting involved in recruitment and employment activities for organizational growth and management, and monitoring the activities undertaken by both the paid staff and volunteers, making sure that the organizational functions are carried on smoothly with appropriate succession activities
- Managing the development of job description activities for management position, evaluating the performance of staff based on the responsibilities assigned to them, and making sure that the employees are getting their proper dues without any hassles
- Maintaining positive working atmosphere for their staff and employees, so that they are motivated to work for the organization and increase their productivity
- Developing and maintaining proper financial practices, collaborating with the management staff, finance committee, and board of directors for budget preparation, making sure that the organization follows the budget guidelines and operates accordingly
- Making arrangements for finance required for hassle free organizational activities, ensuring that the funds acquired by various sources are adequate for running the organization effectively
- Assuring that the organization operates within the long term strategies implemented by it for achieving its mission, and makes timely progress towards fulfilling the organizational goals
Required Qualifications and Skills
The basic qualification required to be eligible for the job of an executive director, one needs to have an advanced degree like MBA. Along with this, one also needs to have a relevant experience of around 10 years. One has to be competent in handling all the organizational activities effectively, and hence the relevant experience in senior management position is essential. One must show a proven track record in leadership and management for effectively running the organization, and scaling its performance.
Apart from the required qualifications and experience, one must also possess certain skills that aide in handling the responsibilities efficiently. Skills required for handling the responsibilities of an executive director comprise:
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Commitment towards improving organizational management and implement quality programs
- Ability to train and mentor core staff members for developing a high performance team
- Ability to set and achieve practical goals and objectives
- Budget management skills
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising skills
- Ability to develop new and existing board member relationships
- Strong written, oral, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work individually or in teams
- Excellent entrepreneurial skills with adaptable and innovative approach to entrepreneurship
An executive director often has to work outside the business hours for handling various operational activities like attending meeting with clients, organizing fund raising events, and planning other organizational activities during weekends. Along with this, he also works for minimum 40 hours a week in fixed shifts in the office environment. Moreover, he also has to travel frequently to local and international destinations for accomplishing business activities.
The average salary range of an executive director falls in between $75,000 to $120,000 per annum, though this range differs depending on relevant experience, organizational strength, work location, and sense of responsibility assigned to the executive director.
An executive director plays a pivotal role in the organizational management, as he is the key person responsible for making important decisions which decides the fate of organizational progress. He works under tremendous pressure for fulfilling the organizational activities efficiently without complication. So if you have the required qualification, experience, and skills for handling the responsibilities of an executive director, you can make a successful career in this profile.