Head Teacher Responsibilities
The head teacher responsibilities include supervising and overseeing teachers who are junior to him/her. He/she also undertakes certain duties and roles that influence majority of the school associates. He/she administrates and heads the various ways and means of enhancing the quality of education being imparted to the students in his/her school. He/she monitors the way all the students behave and assesses their performance. He/he also holds exams for them and decides their syllabus.
A head teacher has the following key roles and job responsibilities and duties:
- Enhancing the new civic services of the school and administrating the cleanliness of its surroundings.
- Directing the junior staff towards repairing or mending old school furnitures or playground equipment.
- Recognizing and marking those areas that need further enhancements and acting on his/her initiatives.
- Ensuring that the plans and programs to improve the standards of the school are implemented and obeyed as per the rules, regulations and standards of the same.
- Making sure that his/her school undertakings are executed, both efficiently and effectively.
- Interacting with the management of the school on a daily basis and collaborating with the teachers to execute key roles and duties that also include improving the general standard of the school and maintaining discipline among the students.
- Informing the management of the school about the teachers, their behaviors with the students and the ways they teach them.
- Assessing the paths that the teachers follow in teaching and instructing their students and making sure that they behave suitably with the students and adhere to the general guidelines of the school.
- Instructing and updating the teachers about the new policies, rules and regulations of the school and obeying and following them himself/herself as well.
- Settling matters and unsolved conflicts related to the school in consultation with the junior teachers.
- Inspecting the schools and students and coming out with new suggestions and directions to better the academic performance of the students.
- Informing the management about various issues with respect to the teachers of the school.
- Informing the teachers about the pitfalls of the school and making sure that all the issues are settled properly.
- Discussing and resolving certain issues with the teachers and management of the school before they produce more difficulties that interfere with the educational system of the same.
- Organizing parents-teachers meetings in the school and informing the parents about the behavior and performance of their children.
- Motivating the students to participate in co-curricular activities, bringing out their talents and interacting with them regularly in order to make them feel comfortable.
- Encouraging the weak and poor students and helping them as much as possible.
- Providing more attention to the same and advising the teachers to help and assist them.
- Arranging programs and events in the school that boost the morales of the students as well as the teachers and parents.
- Deciding what is best for the students in the school and implementing them in their syllabus.
- Enforcing plans and strategies that bring forth the betterment of all the students, teachers and schools.
- Providing all those commodities to the students of the school that they want or require to fulfil their basic needs.
- Encouraging the students to pay equal attention to sports and physical education and training, so that all of them develop into healthy and hearty individuals.
- Counseling the parents on the drawbacks and weaknesses of their children and advising the same to tell their children to focus on their strong points.
- Advising the students about the pitfalls of the modern educational system and enforcing creative and interesting educational and academic systems for all the students in the school.
- Instructing the teachers on the ways and means of making teaching and studies an interesting experience for all the students.
- Taking suitable actions against all the ill-mannered students and informing their parents about them.
- Guiding the ill mannered students towards their goals and targets, so that they don't lag behind in the race.
- Executing all other roles and duties that suit him/her and fall in his/her area of expertise.
A head teacher works in a school or a college where he/she is responsible for administrating all the teachers under him/her. He/she works for five days a week and six to seven hours on a single day. He/she relaxes on Saturdays and Sundays, as the school or college remains closed on these two days. Every school has a different timing. So his/her working shifts will vary from one school to another.
A head teacher earns about USD 43, 000 per year on an average.
Thus, the head teacher responsibilities include taking care of the students, school and administrating the teachers under him/her, thus, justifying his/her position.