Fire Protection Engineer Responsibilities
The fire protection engineer is also known as a fire safety engineer or fire engineer. The fire protection engineer responsibilities include using engineering techniques in order to save people and their environments from the destructive effects of fire and smoke. He recognizes the dangers and schemes suitable guidelines in order to forbid, contain and decrease the effects of fire and smoke.
He helps the building designers, proprietors and evolvers in assessing the lifetime safety of buildings. He checks the buildings, construction plans and other particularities in order to ensure that appropriate fire protection measures have been adopted in places where dangers are active. The fire protection engineer has many responsibilities out of which the key ones are as follows:
- Aiding the fire department and fire fighters in recognizing the defects in the buildings and other construction sites that can lead to fire accidents in the future
- Investigating the buildings and other structures for defects that can lead to fire accidents
- Assisting the fire fighters in preventing, dousing and reducing any dangers related to fires
- Ensuring that the training equipment are advanced and grooming classes on fire safety are being held regularly
- Measuring the kind of operations delivered by the fire department and the concepts and modulations that influence the prevention of and protection from fires
- Organizing and documenting reports that contain matters on the particularities of fire safety and prevention
- Documenting reports on the executed operations of the workers and planned reappraisal programs of the same
- Discussing about the fire preventing equipment and techniques with the contractors, designers and other structural workers with compliance to the fire safety rules and regulations of the department
- Holding various investigations on fire agents, fire protection equipment and other implements
- Talking to the work personnel about the fire safety rules and regulations and suggesting modifications as and when needed
- Making and scheming equipment and alarm systems that sense fire and devices and systems that eliminate fire
- Deciding the different grounds of fire and devising suitable methods and procedures through which it can be prevented from spreading further
- Administrating and overseeing the acquisitions, changes, commencements, support and working of fire equipment and fire protection systems
- Examining the buildings, constructions and other structures in order to decide the needs of the fire safety systems and possible issues in regions like water system facilities, outlet placements, and building materials
- Analyzing the abstraction between the origin of fires and materials to ascertain the reasons behind fires
- Participating in workplaces, meetings, or group meetings in order to give or receive data with regard to fire safety and fire prevention
- Growing programs and strategies for preventing devastation by fire, water and wind
- Ensuring that the fire protection systems and alarm schemes that are functional in order to protect human lives and belongings from fires are in agreement with the policies and regulations of the fire department
- Executing the responsibilities of a senior mechanical engineer in his absence
- Studying and evaluating the fire protection systems in order to ensure that the right methods have been devised to combat fire problems and issues
- Assisting and guiding the scherming and experimentation of fire safety equipment and organizing reports established on them
- Recognizing the sites of fires and adopting suitable measures in order to ensure that it does not happen again
- Assisting the workers with technical problems in the fire sites and executing all the other particular duties in fire and safety
Qualifications and Skills
The candidate should have a bachelor or master's degree in fire safety engineering, with 5 years of related experience in the field of fire safety design, out of which 3 years of the candidate must have been utilized in the field of fire safety engineering. Apart from all these, he should have good communication skills and should be physically and mentally sound.
He works in an office and in building sites during any kind of weather. Executing operations at heights and in close places is also common for him.
He earns about USD 50, 000 per annum on an average as soon as he joins as a fire protection erngineer. But this may vary from place to place and is also dependent on the kind of company for which he works. This is again dependent on his qualifications and skills that include his years of expertise in this department or field.
The fire protection engineer responsibilities include executing engineering methods and procedures in order to prevent or mitigate fire sufferings.