Guest Service Supervisor Job Description
The guest services supervisor is responsible for overseeing the overall daily functional activities of the hotel he/she is working for. Guest services supervisor responsibilities need to be carried out in a planned, organized manner and it is important to ensure that they are in compliance with the hotel's policies and procedures. While carrying out these duties, he/she makes sure that the services delivered to the guests are consistent in quality and meet the required standards.
Key Responsibilities of a Guest Services Supervisor
The guest services supervisor plays a crucial role in the success of any hotel. He/she ensures that all the front end activities like taking care of guests, attending to their requests, ensuring that those needs have been fulfilled, addressing and resolving their issues, etc. are taken care of. He makes sure that the services are being offered to the best ability of their staff in a positive, courteous, efficient, and professional manner, so as to make the guests satisfied and content. To better understand the role of guest services supervisor, here is a list of key responsibilities that need to be performed by him/her:
- To have a thorough knowledge of all the prices, dates, time, and description of the latest events, activities, and facilities that will be provided to the incoming guests and update the staff members on the same
- To plan the daily agenda that includes the duties that need to carried out by the front end staff members and to train the guest staff members on the various facilities that are being rendered
- To anticipate and follow up promptly on the guests' requirements and to make sure that all their concerns are being resolved
- To make efforts to enhance the quality of services that are being provided and to ensure that the existing services are in compliance with the rules and regulations, and that all the safety and security procedures are being adhered to
- To hire and train new staff members as per the requirement and to schedule the staff members to various shifts
- To participate in the meetings and provide a constructive feedback regarding the performance of guest services' staff
In addition to the above responsibilities,
- he/she conducts training programs for the staff members and makes sure that they completely understand the significance of excellent customer service.
- he/she is also involved in cash handling duties, reconciliation of payments and validate the authority of the credit cards.
- He/she ensures that the hotel premises and surrounding areas are clean and maintained properly.
- He/she makes sure that all the extra bills for food, beverages, or any other additional services have been posted to appropriate accounts.
- He/she sets up various controls to ensure that the staff members are carrying out their duties properly.
- If any discrepancies are found, he/she makes sure that they are being communicated to the management people.
Thus, the guest services supervisor makes every effort to ensure that high quality services are offered to the incoming visitors, thereby leading to more business profits.
Essential Skills Required For Guest Services Supervisor
- A guest services supervisor should be able to provide consistent and high quality services.
- He/she should have exceptional interpersonal communication skills and should be totally customer centric.
- He/she should be able to develop and maintain professional relationship with the guests as well as with the guest staff members.
- He/she should have the ability to supervise and lead a team of guest staff members and should be able to delegate work according to the priority.
- He/she should be able to function in a team environment and should be able to motivate others to deliver quality work.
- He/she should have the ability to accomplish the tasks through other staff personnel.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with some previous supervisory experience would be sufficient to apply for the post of a guest services supervisor. Those with higher qualifications will get promoted to higher positions once they gain sufficient work experience.
A guest service supervisor may work in early mornings, evenings, or even at nights, depending on the kind of shift they are being alloted. Sometimes, he/she may need to work on weekends, holidays, or may work in split shifts as well. Thus, he/she must be ready to work in flexible work environment and should be willing to work during the peak season when there are increased number of guests visiting the hotel.
Entry level guest services supervisor can get a starting salary of $24,000, while those with previous work experience can get a maximum salary of $50,000. It varies depending on the location, type, size of the hotel and the relevant skills and education of the candidate.
The career prospects look really lucrative for the candidates aspiring to make a career in this field, as this is one of the most promising fields that offers better opportunities for growth and development.
Thus, you are now well-equipped with various guest services responsibilities and to become a complete professional, you need to execute them efficiently and effectively.