Lean Manufacturing Engineer Responsibilities
Lean manufacturing engineering is a management process where the focus is primarily to improve the overall client value and carry out various activities to achieve the best results. The lean manufacturing engineer responsibilities play a crucial role in ensuring that the efficiency is increased by eliminating the wastes and taking into consideration what are the things that will actually matter rather than blindly accepting the existing ideas and practices. He/she thus works with the subordinates to develop and initiate a program that will help in closing the gaps that have been identified, thus enhancing the productivity and quality standards.
Key Responsibilities of a Lean Manufacturing Engineer
The lean manufacturing engineer is responsible for leading and deploying the best practices in the manufacturing organization by taking initiative to support continuous improvement in various manufacturing processes by reducing the tooling costs and improving the flow of material and setting up cycle times.
He/she works towards achieving the manufacturing goals and objectives of the organization. He/she leads, facilitates, executes and manages projects to reduce the costs significantly by implementing Lean, WCP, and Six Sigma tools and methodologies. He/she uses his/her expertise to identify and recommend improvements by applying the relevant principles.
To better understand as to what are the responsibilities and duties that need to be shouldered by this professional, listed below are some points that will help you in providing valuable guidance:
- To make optimum utilization of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma tools to assist in preparing the feasibility studies and ensure that the costs incurred are justified
- To evaluate various improvements that need to be done and create value analysis and to look out for ways to reduce the costs in the engineering and manufacturing applications
- To confer with the senior and other related personnel to create designs and to clarify and resolve any relevant issues
- To give directions to help in preparing the layouts and detailed drawings that will eventually assist in improving the manufacturing processes
- To develop methods that would help in reducing the cost without compromising on the quality standards to ensure increased efficiency and quality and make recommendations
- To achieve cost effective designs and to carry out research, design, and development work of the manufacturing process that would include assembly methods, production flow and production equipment
In addition to the above responsibilities,
- This professional helps in preparing and maintaining the detailed layouts, designs, develops, tests, and cost justifies various tools, equipment, and machinery that may be required for various manufacturing processes.
- He/she reviews the manufacturing areas for potential safety hazards and makes sure that all the safety practices are being followed while implementing the new processes.
- He/she trains the supervisors and operators and incorporates quality checks and balances the work flow to increase the productivity.
- He/she helps in determining the root causes for those system inefficiencies and failures and makes recommendations for changes in designs and the related processing methodologies.
- He/she identifies the key areas for improving these standards and incorporates new techniques to enhance the existing operating standards.
- He/she is responsible for training and mentoring the new staff personnel and supervises other team members.
- He/she is involved in preparing the documentation for the improved processes and ensures that the product designs manufactured are up to the standard levels.
Essential Skills and Abilities
- To make a successful career in the field of lean engineering, an individual should be adaptable to accept new changes in the field of lean manufacturing and should remain abreast with the latest developments happening in that field.
- He/she should be extremely well organized and should have the ability to identify problems and resolve them quickly.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with excellent organization, planning and implementation skills would definitely prove to be an advantage.
- He/she be self driven with positive attitude and should be result oriented.
- Excellent analytical skills combined with good negotiation and conflict management skills with proficiency in computers would be beneficial.
To qualify for this position, it is necessary that a person should have completed a bachelor's degree in engineering. A demonstrated working knowledge of Lean/Six Sigma in the manufacturing field with good project management skills would prove to be a huge plus. The individual who has completed a formal training in Lean/Six Sigma will definitely be preferred and have an edge over the rest of the candidates.
The daily routine of this professional normally starts at eight in the morning and ends at five in the evening. He/she may be required to work extra sometimes in the evenings or on the weekends.
The average annual salary earned by a lean manufacturing engineer is $58,000, which can vary depending upon the company, its size, location, experience that an individual has in that particular field, and the supporting education and skills that he/she has.
There is no looking back for those individuals who have demonstrated their abilities and skills in improving the quality and efficiency of the work. There are ample job opportunities available, and there is definitely a great scope for growth and development.
So to become a complete professional in this field, it is essential that the lean manufacturing engineer responsibilities should be handled efficiently and effectively.