Gynecologist Job Description
Gynecology is the medical science that deals with the female reproductive system. A gynecologist diagnosis and treats disorders related to reproductive system of women, such as uterus, ovaries, vagina, etc. Many people confuse gynecology with obstetrics. Obstetrics is another filed of medical practice in which the doctors provide natal, pre-natal and post-natal care to women as well as carry operative process during delivery. Most of the doctors acquire training in both gynecology and obstetrics simultaneously and they are called as Obstetrician Gynecologists (OB/GYN). There are some countries where training of gynecology and obstetrics are overlapped and the doctors need not have a separate training for the two. Here is a detailed gynecologist job description for your help.
Duties and Responsibilities of Gynecologists:
- Gynecologists have to diagnose the patients and identify their problems from the diagnostic tests as well as note down the symptoms patients are experiencing
- Conduct research and examine the symptoms to give proper medications and dosage assistance to the patients
- Keep a track of the progress shown by the patients during the treatment process
- Suggest alternative treatments in case there is no health progress
- Perform surgeries in case of chronic and serious reproductive disorders
- They also provide health care assistance to the pregnant women in prenatal, natal and postnatal care
- They provide dietary tips and conduct regular examinations for pregnant women
- They are the whole and sole of the entire delivery process and also provide healthcare tips for the babies
- They perform surgeries during the delivery if necessary
- Provide all types of consulting help related to women's reproductive system
- Maintain reports of the patients that can help them in future treatments
- Refer patients to other specialists in case the disease is related to some other medical problem
- Consult with other doctors and take their help in the treatment process
- Give alternate treatments options to the patients and help them understand the exact process of treatment concerned to their disease
- Conduct conferences and seminars related to health management and dietary plans for women
Competencies Required in Gynecologists:
- Gynecologists should have ability to diagnose the disease appropriately and provide proper treatment assistance to the patients
- They should be skilled at using advanced treatment methods which are best in the industry
- Should upgrade themselves regularly by learning advanced treatment methods
- Should raise appropriate questions to the patients and make them feel comfortable while discussing any health issues
- They should have ability to maintain a friendly relationship with the patients so that the patient does not feel uncomfortable talking to them
- Must be polite, enthusiastic and should have a pleasant personality
- Must carry confidence and have ability to take appropriate decisions in case of conflicts in the treatment process
- Ability to handle all kinds of cases, critical and uncritical
- Excellent communication skills are also one of the most important requirements
Educational Qualifications for a Gynecologist:
To pursue this career one has to spend 8 years on their education. A gynecologist usually has to complete a four year degree program in medical school which is then followed by a four year residency program in a hospital. After completing these 8 years of study in the medical college they can apply for the certification program in Obstetrics and Gynecology which is offered by American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG).
Gynecologists are taught all the treatment methods and surgeries in their career which they can use to treat the patients.
Salaries Offered for Gynecologists:
Compensation offered to gynecologists is pretty high. The average salary of a gynecologist working in a hospital is $231,866. Private practitioners may earn more than this depending upon their goodwill and skills.
If you have any queries regarding the gynecologist job description, you can get back to us.