Guest Relations Manager Job Description
Guest relations managers are seen employed in most of the prestigious hotels. Guest relations manager responsibilities play a crucial role in creating a good will amongst the visitors by providing excellent services to its customers. Thus, he is responsible for making the stay of his customers pleasant and comfortable and taking care that all the issues have been solved promptly, so as to ensure better customer satisfaction.
Key Responsibilities of a Guest Relations Manager
It is the entire responsibility of the guest relations manager to ensure that the front office staff is carrying out their assigned duties effectively.
- He/she makes sure that the guests are being greeted well and that they are being attended promptly and are being offered the best possible services.
- He/she is responsible for providing high end level support and information to the guests and is responsible for handling the financial transactions and assisting the customers in their reservations.
- To oversee the duties of the front staff by monitoring the expected bookings, to make sure that the guests are being welcomed and greeted in an appropriate manner and that their registration and check in procedures have been carried out in a warm and friendly manner
- To see that the staff members are handling the special needs of the guests like providing vehicle valet service, causing minimum disturbance, making arrangements for luggage collection as well as storage, ensuring that messages for guests have been promptly conveyed, to note down the complaints of the guests, etc.
- To make sure that the guests follow the rules and regulations, to take care that the telephone calls have been handled properly, to provide additional information to the guests about the tourist spots, and to ensure that the check out procedures of the guests are executed in a friendly manner
- To post all the relevant charges to the appropriate account, to provide the itemized bills to the guests, and make sure that they are delivered promptly and are accurate
- To generate accounts that are in accordance with the needs and ensuring adherence with the department's policies
- To maximize the sales by providing the guests with additional information regarding its products and services, and to make sure that the guests are satisfied, so that they will be tempted to visit again, thus ensuring better business
- he/she is equally responsible for training and mentoring the junior and new staff members in developing their professional skills and updating them with knowledge regarding policies, handling of guests in front office, and providing relevant information on reservation handling.
- He/she also makes sure that the intoxicated guests are directed in a proper manner, so that there is minimum risk to the other guests.
- While dealing with such issues, he/she acts in a professional manner and applies techniques related to conflict resolution.
- He/she ensures that the work place remains clean, neat, and tidy.
- Thus, a guest relations manger is responsible for overseeing and supervising the activities of the front staff, so that all the customers are satisfied and content.
- A guest relations manager should have exceptional interpersonal communication skills as he/she constantly needs to build a relationship with guests as well as the internal staff members.
- He/she should be able to maintain healthy relationship especially with the guests, and hence should be totally customer oriented, as they are the ones who will be generating business.
- He/she should have excellent time management and organization skills.
- He/she should be able to resolve the issues of the customers and internal members in a timely manner.
- He/she should be outgoing, friendly, and have excellent people skills. He/she should be able to enforce regulations on the guests without hurting their feelings.
The individuals planning to make an entry as a guest relations manager should have at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. Those with previous hotel management experience or those who have an exposure to handling customers in any hospitality industry will definitely get preference.
Work Schedule and Salary Details
The guest relations manager needs to work for thirty five to forty hours per week. He/she may need to work extra time whenever there are holidays and weekends as it is the peak season, and ensure better business for the hotel. The average salary for the guest relations manager varies in the range of $45,000 to $50,000. It depends on the skills, educational background, experience, location, size, and type of the hotel he/she is working in.
The hotel industry is growing by leaps and bounds, and so the job opportunities will definitely be on the rise. Moreover, there are opportunities for promotion to higher positions or some may even think of starting their own business.
Thus, if you are planning to stabilize in this field, you must be well aware of the guest relations manager responsibilities, educational background, and skills necessary to ensure bright success in your career.