Associate Attorney Responsibilities
Associate attorney is an individual aspiring to become an attorney by assisting the attorney and getting acquainted with the relevant legal knowledge that will be helpful to shoulder the associate attorney responsibilities. This is like an entry level position which gives him a ground for understanding the intricacies involved in the legal proceedings, how to handle the clients,how to conduct research and make presentations in the court that will be in the best interest of the client.
Key Responsibilities of Associate Attorney
Attorneys need to handle multiple clients which involves a lot of responsibilities. Hence they delegate their work load to their associates who are involved in research and assist the attorney in performing several other tasks and duties. Here is a list of the general responsibilities that need to be carried out by an associate attorney:
- He should take an active part in the meetings of the clients and try to understand the issues and come up with a possible way of action to deal the case
- He is involved in preparing for the trials, hearings and participates in the legal proceedings to gain experience
- He is involved in studying and identifying the laws that are applicable to the case
- He conducts a thorough research and assists in gathering all the data and information that is relevant to the case that will of great help while presenting the evidences during the court sessions
- He assists the attorney in the preparation and drafting of various legal arguments, drafts, and other relevant legal material and reports
- He handles all the administration part like maintaining, updating and keeping a track of the important legal documents covering a wide range of clients so that it is made available to the attorneys whenever there is a requirement
- He is involved in helping with the preparation of various contracts, agreements, planning of estates and filing tax returns.
- He performs several other tasks like scanning the legal documents, preparation of bills that need to be issued to the clients, retrieving the necessary supporting legal documents, maintaining the corporate database,computing the taxes and recommending the tax strategies.
- He is also responsible for generating various reports that need to be presented during meetings with clients.
- He makes full use of various applications and computer programs to update, document, sort and classify the important legal correspondences and make presentations.
- He coordinates with the clients to fix up meetings, conferences and calls.
Few of the following skills will ensure success as an associate attorney:
- He should have an ability to comprehend complex matters and identify the laws that are applicable to them
- He should be able to demonstrate exceptional organization and time management skills
- He should have a keen eye for detail coupled with good researching ability
- He should possess a thorough knowledge of the legal procedures and should keep himself updated with the current developments
- He should be proficient in computers and should be able to maintain, update and modify the documents needed during the presentations in the court
- He should have persuasive communication skills that will help in building trust and broadening the client base
An associate degree in paralegals or a bachelor's degree with additional certification in paralegal studies will be sufficient to make an entry. Even those with a bachelor's degree combined with a course in paralegal training can get the job.
The work hours fall in the range of forty to forty five hours per week. However, associates working in the law firms may need to work for long hours as they need to work under pressure and meet the deadlines. They may require occasional traveling to meet the clients for discussion.
The salary varies depending on the location,size, type, academic background and the relevant work experience. The salary may also include additional bonuses and they may get paid for working for long hours.
The job prospects are really bright, the opportunities are ample but there is severe competition. To survive in this competition you must have an excellent academic background combined with relevant work experience.
Associate attorney responsibilities need to be shouldered with utmost efficiency so as to get promoted to higher positions.
Associate Attorney Resume