Head Librarian Responsibilities
The head librarian responsibilities include playing the role of a supervisor and director of small libraries, wherein s/he oversees the library personnel. A huge library may have a number of small libraries inside it, and it is here that the principal expert of the same is the head librarian. S/he informs the sectional and library director about the daily events and conflicts taking place there. In some libraries, s/he is also the library director.
A head librarian has the following key responsibilities:
- Administrating other library personnel and taking care of the books and other smaller sections in the library.
- Revaluating the behaviour and functions of the library staff and taking strict actions against those who misbehave or don't obey the principles and standards of the library.
- Selecting and firing the library personnel, as and when needed.
- Making sure that there are enough library personnel in the library during the peak hours, when it is visited by the maximum number of readers.
- Strategizing plans and programs for the library associates working under her/him, and modifying the same from time to time as per the requirements of the library and the needs and suitability of those associates.
- Undertaking many supervision tasks and directing the monetary funds of the library as per the requirements of the readers.
- Administrating the monetary funds of the library in such a manner that it makes way for the generation of salaries of all the personnel working in the library.
- Documenting economic aid propositions and messages and working in collaboration with others.Helping the readers in finding their books and other materials and replying to the queries of the latter.
- Settling certain matters that the readers may have with other library personnel and breaking down other complicated issues or conflict matters that exist within the premises of the library.
- Directing and overseeing such activities in the library that provide benefits to the readers, facilitating them to subscribe to new books and organizing gifts for children visiting the library.
- Organizing fun programs and running them effectively in order to encourage the readers and other people who visit the library.
- Advertizing and promoting the fun plans and programs in order to receive gifts from gathering leaders.
- Informing the readers and visitors about the best selling novels, stories and magazines across the world and sharing the follow-ups of various readers on the same in order to make them subscribe to or borrow them.
- Informing the readers about the follow-ups of various publishers on the same books, novels and magazines.
- Introducing new books of the library to the readers and suggesting them to buy some good and interesting reads and thrillers.
- Making sure that all the clients or readers benefit from their visits.
- Helping the readers and visitors in locating particular CDs, DVDs and using internet services as well.
- Completing the documented formalities during the issue of books to the readers and CDs to others.
- Issuing library cards to all the members of the library and loaning books and other important things to them on a regular basis.
- Upholding the rules and regulations of the library and making sure that all the operations are executed in compliance with them and that the readers and visitors follow them strictly.
- Keeping a count of the total number of books and magazines present in the library.
- Attempting to find a book that has been misplaced or lost
- Helping the readers and visitors get access to the required stuff and executing the rest of the roles of a head librarian
Qualifications and Skills Required
A head librarian has a master's degree in library science or a similar branch. This degree makes her/him competent enough to handle and manage the job roles and duties of a head librarian. Before executing the duties and responsibilities of a head librarian, s/he must have executed the role of a librarian for about five to six years in a reputed library before. S/he also requires to update herself/himself with the latest advancements in the field of books, CDs and web internet services. S/he needs to have good reading and interacting skills. These would help her/him communicate with the clients and help them find the required books, CDs or other things. Finally, s/he also needs to have a good memory and outstanding learning abilities so that s/he can help the readers and visitors as well.
A head librarian, generally, works in a huge library that contains books, novels, magazines, movie and music CDs and other internet facilities. S/he administrates the library associates working under her/him and plans hosting interesting events in the library. As the name suggests, s/he remains surrounded with books, CDs, readers and visitors. S/he generally works most of the days and keeps just one day off for herself/himself. S/he works for around eight to nine hours in a single day. Her/his is a relaxed environment where everybody works peacefully.
A head librarian draws anywhere between USD 40, 000 to USD 70, 000 per annum. Her/his salary also varies within the given range from one type of library to another.
Thus, the head librarian responsibilities include helping the clients with finding particular books and carrying out programs in the library in order to encourage the readers and visitors.