Books Salesperson Responsibilities
Most of us are fascinated by the world of books. It is no wonder that a bookstore is the favorite haunting place for all book lovers. With the hope of finding a good book, when we enter a book store, it is the books salesperson who greets us at the store. A book salesperson is in-charge of assisting the customers to find the books of their choice. He represents the book store and helps the customers to go through the books, tells them about the popular book reviews, identifies the customer's taste in books and suggests suitable books, etc. A salesperson is responsible to create loyal customers for the store.
Customers feel welcome to visit the stores when they are treated with a helpful and courteous behavior by the salesperson. The job requirements for this profile are not very rigid. A diploma or an associate degree is enough for this profile. The candidate is judged by his qualities and not by his education. The most important quality for a book salesperson is love and passion for books. One needs to be fluent with books of various genres and be updated with the latest book reviews. Other important skills include communication skills, sales and marketing abilities, and proficiency in subject of accounting and inventory. A book salesperson's responsibilities include the following:
Responsibilities of a Bookstore Salesperson
Sales and Customer Service Responsibilities
- Interact with the walk-in customers and provide them with the books of their choice. Suggest names of books that suit their taste. Assist the customers to make their purchases.
- Communicate with the customers via emails and telephonic calls. Answer their queries regarding availability of books, book reviews, new launches, price of books, etc.
- Respond to consumer complaints for damaged books. Provide them with replacement or compensation for the same.
Inventory and Accounting Responsibilities
- Maintain a record of the books sold every day. Update the stocks accounts with the number of total sales on that date.
- Prepare daily, weekly, and monthly records for purchases, sales, and stocks and submit them to the manager.
- Check the stock of books in the stores. Make a note of the books that need to be replaced. Place purchase orders with the vendors or publishing houses and complete the procedure for delivery of books.
Advertising and Marketing Responsibilities
- Collect brochures and posters announcing book launch and put it up within the stores.
- Send promotional e-mails and SMS to loyal customers and invite them to visit the stores to view new stock of books.
- Open library facility for customers to promote reading as a hobby.
Organizational and Maintenance Responsibilities
- Categorize books into several sections of children's specials, fiction, non-fiction, autobiography, mythological, mystery, etc., and organize them well on the shelves.
- Train new salespersons on marketing skills. Help them resolve customer queries.
- Ensure the store premise is kept clean at all times. Remove the books that are torn, spoilt, or have yellowed over the time.
Responsibilities of a Door to Door Salesperson
- Visit homes to promote and sell books. Communicate with the customers and convince them how the books would be useful to them, convey details of the new discount offer and schemes, and close the sales deal.
- Visit schools, offices, and commercial centers to sell books for their libraries. Aim for a bulk order from the organizations.
- Fill up the sales form by the customers and deliver them the books within a day's time.
- Promote the bookstore and invite customers to visit the store.
The success of a bookstore depends upon the efficient performance of the book salesperson's responsibilities. This profile will allow you to explore your passion for books and become well versed with the book reviews for making successful sales. Also, it is a good option for starting a career in marketing field and for entering the job market.