Security Guard Job Description
If you are the brave kind and want to get into the profession of providing security, read through the security guard job description we have provided for you and you will understand what qualifications and skills are required for it.
Many people are getting into the business of providing security. This job does not require a lot of educational qualifications, but it pays well because of the risk factor involved in it. Security is a very upcoming field of business; there are many private companies that provide security to the rich and famous. They also pay their security guards really well and give them health benefits. Therefore, this field is proving to be quite lucrative for many people.
There are security guard positions in the government also. They have to guard the government buildings, but the quantity of jobs is quite less as compared with the private sector.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Security Guard
- Guard the place or person they have been assigned to guard
- If they have been assigned to guard a place, they have to protect the place from burglars and trespassers
- If the place is a public place, they have to watch out for any bad elements disturbing peace
- They also have to check the public if they are carrying any bombs or weapons
- They have to look out for suspicious-looking items like an unattended bags that could be a bomb
- Make use of the weapons provided to them responsibly; security guards are given night sticks, pepper spray , stun guns and sometimes real guns
- In the case that they have been assigned to protect an individual, they have to protect that person's life
- If there is an attack on that person, they have to protect that person without caring about their own safety
- They are provided with a gun and a bullet-proof vest; they have to use the gun responsibly
- They have to avoid behavior that could put the life of their client in jeopardy
- In their contract, they have to promise to keep secret any unknown thing they learn about their client while protecting them
- The guard has to report about the client to his security company
Qualifications Required for the post of a Security Guard
- High School Graduate
- Should be trained in using weapons
- Should be trained in searching for weapons and explosives
- It would be advantageous if they knew atleast one form of martial arts
- Should be tall and well built, they should exercise regularly
- Should have a good stamina, in case they have to chase the perpetrator
- Should be courageous as; the job involves a lot of risk
- Should be willing to work in different shifts
- Should have a calm demeanor and good people skills, as they have to interact with a lot of people
Hard work and good experience will result in a promotion and movement up the hierarchy in the security company they work with. Therefore, decide about getting into this profession only after reading the security guard job description.
Here is the List of Some Related Security Job Description: