FireFighter Job Description
The fire fighter responsibilities include saving human lives and belongings by battling, forbidding and eliminating fires. He trains himself for fire fighting duties and participates in the same. He takes care of the burnt or injured victims and prevents fire from spreading further. He ensures that the fire is brought into control as soon as possible with minimum damage to life and property.
He is responsible for sustaining all the fire equipment and making proper use of them, as and when the situations arise. He executes his duties in fake practice sessions in order to prepare himself for real life fire situations. He works very hard, physically and mentally in order to execute his job responsibilities in a proper manner.
He needs to possess fire fighting skills so that he can work effectively under or with a team. The responsibilities of a fire fighter are the same everywhere, but the manner in which his duties, roles, responsibilities and jobs are executed may differ from one place to another. His basic responsibilities are as under:
Fire Fighter Responsibilities
- Saving injured victims from getting burnt further and protecting the unharmed people from fire by shifting them to a new place as early as possible
- Helping and responding to as many injured and affected ones as possible by showing presence of mind
- Operating efficaciously with a team in such a manner that the maximum number of victims are saved from fire and the injured ones are admitted to the nearest hospital
- Ensuring that he wears all the anti fire protective clothes, so that he can save himself from fire before saving others
- Administrating and overseeing other kinds of emergency situations that require presence of mind and wisdom
- Overseeing and supervising the different saving operations during vehicle accidents and mishaps that take place in the water and in case of any other disasters
- Responding to fire emergencies and telephone calls of people as early as possible in order to save human lives and protect the properties by utilizing their expertise and knowledge of fire fighting
- Executing different operations in order to save the people who remain trapped in the buildings, houses and various other establishments during fire accidents and other disasters
- Eliminating fire flames completely or at least containing them as soon as possible in order to ensure that least number of people have been affected and least amount of property has been destroyed
- Taking care of his own life while saving others and completing all the training, performance and mock activities in a manner so that he is able to execute his job duties very efficiently in the real situations of dousing the fire
- Following and acting as per the orders of his senior officers and working according to their directions
- Executing operations as per the ethics and norms of the fire department in order to ensure agreements with all the safety standards and procedures of firefighting
- Working in a strictly professed manner to ensure that all the fire fighting operations are safely completed
- Updating himself with the all the details of the affected areas falling under his jurisdiction in order to minimize the damages and protect human lives
- Operating all the fire safety equipment in the appropriate manner so that minimum human lives are affected and minimum properties are damaged and destroyed
- Regularly examining the different fire safety equiment in his office and other safety equipment in the fire brigade in order to ensure that they work effectively at any given point of emergency
- Executing various search rescue operations in order to track and find out the missing people and maintaining the alarm systems in order to function effectively
- Effectively helping his co-workers to execute all the job responsibilities, roles and job duties during disaster management and other such situations
Qualifications and Skills Required For FireFighter
The candidate should have a mimimum of a high school diploma and the ability to read, write and speak English language at a reporting level. He must be ready to adjust to the kind of environment fire fighters deal with all the time. He must be creative and have a presence of mind. He should be willing to take all the initiatives to save the lives of people and damages to properties even if others are not helping him.
He should know how to take care of his life and save himself from fire. He should have passed all the mock drills and other essential training requirements in order to fufill the job responsibilities of a fire fighter. Having a stable mind and body is also equally important. He should not be suffering from any health ailments. At last, but not the least, he must be kind-hearted and should have sympathy for people; only then, he can execute his job duties responsibly.
He works in an emergency situational environment. He may be called any time of the day or night to execute his roles and responsibilities with full dedication and hard work. Most of the times, he relaxes, but his door of duties can open any time and at any place. He has rotaional shifts, with he being called even on Saturdays and Sundays.
He earns an average salary of USD 58, 000 per annum. But this salary is different in different places and is greatly influenced by the type of organization he works in.
Thus, the fire fighter responsibilities include saving the lives of people and minimizing the damage caused to the properties by battling fire.