Inventory Control Supervisor Job Description
For a particular business to succeed, it is crucial that the inventory management and its related tasks should be carried out well. A major part of this basically comes under inventory control supervisor responsibilities. The inventory control supervisors ensure that the stocks of the organization are managed well. They take steps to decrease the excess inventory as well as ensure that enough stock is available so as to meet the customer's requirements. They design inventory management plans that will help in streamlining the orders received thereby reducing unnecessary wastage of valuable time. They ensure that the products are kept in safe place and also track the sales figures, ensuring the accuracy of inventories in system, etc.
The inventory control supervisors job is related with direct supervision and coordination of various activities of the administrative and clerical support staff. They train the staff personnel and supervise their work to ensure compliance with quality standards, procedures, policies, deadlines, etc., and also helps in resolving any issues. They have a detailed discussion with the coworkers so as to help them identify the actual problems and resolve them immediately so that they do not hamper their work.
They are responsible for evaluating the performance of the employees. They interpret and explain in detail the policies of the organization and make sure that every employee adheres by them. The detailed description of the key responsibilities is given below that will guide you and give an exact idea about these professionals:
Main Responsibilities Of Inventory Control Supervisor
- To establish and execute cycle count schedule in compliance with the corporate accounting objectives
- To coordinate and oversee the daily cycle counts of the various inventory assets
- To investigate, identify and reconcile the cycle count discrepancies, i.e., shortages as well as overages
- To audit process along with paper flow errors and try to spot the inconsistencies that affect the accuracy of the inventories
- To take care of the inventory areas by organizing and maintaining efficient material handling and storage
- To maintain the cycle count records so that it can be reviewed by the management and also provide the reports related to cycle count activity
- the individuals working in this position implement and maintain policies and procedures related to inventory control.
- They supervise and coordinate the appropriate processing of various purchase requisitions, receiving reports, purchase orders, inventory requisitions, etc.
- They take periodic physical inventories and ensure that the investment in inventory is maintained at optimum levels.
- They communicate with vendors about the merchandise and its concerned inquiries.
- They prepare reports of inventory balance and use computer applications and database management to perform the assigned work effectively.
- They authorize all adjustments made to the inventory and investigate the inventory issues like quality control complaints, customer complaints regarding products, etc.
- They track the variances in the inventory, so as to facilitate better planning as well as interpret variances and correct the problems that have come up.
- They validate the merchandise that has been received to the package and description details from the original order.
- They accurately input data related to product description in the inventory system as well as maintain accurate merchandising information and inventory turn performance.
- They work in tandem with various departments and maintain flexible attitude supporting all the work that helps in achieving organizational goals.
- They are accountable for maintaining high levels of customer service, be it internal or external.
- They coordinate damaged and defective products and make sure that it is accounted and handled properly by dumping it, reconditioning or returning it to the producing plant.
- They ensure that all the employees work towards achieving the objectives related to inventory control management and make suggestions for improvement to the management.
Thus, there is a wide array of responsibilities that need to be carried out by them.
Basic Skills and Abilities
- Ideally, the individuals wishing to enter this field should have strong analytical and excellent problem-solving skills.
- They should possess excellent verbal as well as written communication skills that are absolutely necessary to work in a customer focused working environment.
- Good organization and business administration skills, attention to detail, willingness to improve, learn and adapt in accordance with the modern practice methods are some of the other required skills.
- Ability to supervise, control, manage, instruct and lead others to complete the assigned tasks along with computer skills, especially Excel, Word and Outlook will definitely prove to be a great advantage.
- They should be able to manage time effectively, as they may need to handle multiple functions and meet the deadlines consistently.
- They should be able to function independently with minimal supervision and should be self motivated.
An associate or higher degree would definitely be the first preference of the employers. The individuals who have prior leadership and supervisory experience in inventory control would have an advantage. The individuals with a bachelor's degree in business program or management would also be considered for a similar position.
The professionals may need to work in the interiors of the office where they may require to have high degree of flexibility, as their work involves a lot of sitting, standing, bending, walking, etc. They may require manual dexterity to operate the office machines and other industrial equipment.
The average salary earned by these professionals generally goes up to $39,000. The more experienced individuals would get a more competitive salary package along with some medical and insurance benefits.
There are a lot of job opportunities that are available for these positions. Though the competition is really tough, those with better education, experience and skills will surely rise to the higher managerial position. With an upward career progression, they will need to do some additional duties that are highly responsible in nature.
Thus, if you want your career to rise to greater heights, it is essential that the inventory control responsibilities should be carried out in a professional way.