Bioprocess Technician Responsibilities
The bioprocess technician is a professional individual who is involved in the manufacturing procedures of the organization which is mostly related to the biological processes. These processes may include purification activities, cell culture events, manufacturing processes of vaccines, and other activities related to the production industry.
The bioprocess technician is a responsible personnel who is expected to achieve the goals of the department by operating in a team-like atmosphere. He holds fast to the practices which are aseptic including GMP, i.e. Good Manufacturing Practices. He possesses the distinctive capability to guide his own work by demonstrating the leadership abilities. He may also take up the responsibility of managing the sterilization, tank cleaning, and filtration systems. He submits the materials and samples to the laboratory and maintains a close coordination with the Quality ans Logistics departments.
Requirements of a Bioprocess Technician
The general requirements for a bioprocess technician are as follows:
- The candidate should possess a bachelor's degree or associate degree in Engineering or Life Science or any bachelor's degree or high school diploma with at least two years of work experience of the FDA regulated field
- He should be physically strong, as his work may involve lifting up of 50 lbs at a regular basis during his work
- He should have the desire to work for long hours and in rotating shifts as per the requirement of the organization
- He should be ready to attend the blood tests and vaccination procedures whenever required
- He should have the capability and mechanical skills to examine the production equipment and take the necessary and disciplinary plans of action
- He should be a good initiator who has the ability to strongly concentrate on the results, quality, and detailing of the products
- He must be proficient with team building, communication, problem solving, quick decision, and interpersonal skills
- He must be knowledgeable enough to function the computer operating systems of the organization
- He should have a strong background of microbiology, fermentation, and purification procedures
Job Responsibilities of a Bioprocess Technician
The job responsibilities of a bioprocess technician are given below:
- Supporting the biological procedures: The bioprocess technician is responsible for functioning in coordination with every professional individual of the organization and providing appropriate support to the daily routine work dedicated for the production of biological products. Besides, the bioprocess technician looks after the usual maintenance of the production procedures. He looks after the automated and manual functions of the organization.
- Developing the training programs: He adds a fruitful contribution to the development of the training programs. Moreover, he is responsible for the proper execution of these training programs. He takes part in the meetings held for the evaluation and assessment of the training programs. He may even advise and train the other trainers for improving their training techniques and judge the trainees for guiding them appropriately
- Authorizing the legal procedures: He takes care of the authorization of the GMP and SOP certifications and also looks after their revision. With a view to permit suitable traceability and accountability of the products, the bioprocess technician supplies all the relevant clerical functions and written documents for the same. He can be a part of the quality, security, and other commissions and work towards the betterment of the productions of the organization.
- Transporting and maintaining the products: He makes sure that there is a prompt transfer and availability of the products, materials, and other supplies by ensuring that the shipment regulations are met. He may also take the responsibility of transporting and sustaining the stock list of the necessary equipments of biological production. He provides proper assistance related to the troubleshooting of the products and executes general maintenance procedures.
- Operating the production systems: He proves his expertise in the operation of the distributed control system and other automated instruments. These instruments may include HanDEL, SAP, NG LIMS, Excel, MES, Word, etc. He follows the recognized processes that are related to the performance of the decontamination of the production facilties. He also executes some of the housekeeping procedures in the areas of manufacture.
- Taking ownership of the processes: He takes the responsibility of the processes that are pertinent to the supply of the tools through the execution of proper actions. In addition to that, he takes ownership of the process concerns, necessary areas of repair or maintenance, security concerns, and other regions of development. He is also responsible for the formulation of the tools used in vaccine production and look after their cleaning and up-keeping procedures.
- Executing the product testing procedures: He may perform the tasks of the production assistant in his absence or when the need arises. He addresses and determines the safety, compliance, process, and environmental deviations while informing the appropriate professionals of the department. He shoulders the responsibility of completing the sample examination procedures that support the improvement work executed for new productions. Besides, he executes the in-process experimentations that are related to the validation and manufacturing procedures planned for present the processes.
The bioprocess technician responsibilities given above are a good medium through which you can gain much of the significant information about the bioprocess technician job profile.